Finishing Touches

Tools/Items used

-Dremel with a circular filing piece
-Flathead Screwdriver
-Saw
-File
-Pliers
-Sand paper
-Scissors
-Plastic Bottle
-Sellotape

Aside from the more complex parts of transforming the Hydro Cannon, I did a few other little things as well to make the blaster that little bit better.  I’ll break them down.


Pressure Gauge

The first thing I did was make a pressure gauge on the left hand side of the blaster when using it.  It is a rather simple thing to do, however it is a bit messy too.  See the orange piece that is in the middle of the blaster?  Well since the pressure gauge from the firing chamber now goes a bit past there, we are going to take it out whether it likes it or not.

finishingtouchespic1

Using a dremel I bit by bit hacked into it, until I could get a grip on the side where I used a flathead screwdriver to pry it out finally.  It is not the easiest thing as the orange plastic is on the inside, if you do something similar then you may want to try heating it so it softens.  In a way that is what happened with the dremel, I used a circular filing piece which because how fast it went actually started to soften and melt the plastic.  While it was like that I used the flathead screwdriver to pull it apart.  It was still messy, however eventually I managed to get it off.

finishingtouchespic2

Now to stop water getting in it needs a plastic transparent cover of some sort.  I was wondering what to use for a while, until I got the idea of using a plastic bottle.

finishingtouchespic3

I cut out pieces of the bottle with scissors.  I couldn’t get it all as one piece, so I cut out one piece that would mostly cover it, and then another smaller one for the rest of the gap.  I slotted them in between the spaces of where the orange piece had been cut out.

finishingtouchespic4

I had to use some sellotape on both sides to stick the pieces together.  It is not the prettiest of efforts but it is now a transparent cover at the end of the day which is what I wanted.

finishingtouchespic5

And that is it really; it is now a pressure gauge like the old school CPS’s.  The actual firing chamber does go a bit past the end; however I can still tell when it is pretty much full.


Pump Handle

Opinions will probably be split on this, however I did not like the vertical part of the pump handle, I found it uncomfortable and felt it got in the way and made pumping slower.  So what I did was saw it off, very easy job.  Just saw off where the vertical handle starts, and then file away any uneven parts left by it and then smooth it down with some sand paper.

finishingtouchespic6

There, to me it feels far easier and better to pump, and looks more like the tracked pumps on the old CPS blasters, albeit smaller!  Still, I much prefer it like this.


Mesh Screen Removal

Another common thing on the new blasters, the Flash Flood especially, is removing the mesh screen on the big nozzle to increase the range.  With the mesh screen on, the blaster when fired will fire for a bit longer; however the stream will come out a bit slower.  Removing the screen does have its disadvantage of reducing the shot time; however it does make the range and beam better.

finishingtouchespic7

The screen as it is, I got some pliers and carefully twisted as I grappled on to the mesh wiring, carefully pulling off each bit of wiring until it was all off.

finishingtouchespic8

That is pretty much it, all finished.