Reservoir Filling

Tools/Items used

-Hydro Cannon Reservoir
-Saw
-File
-Sandpaper
-Marker pen
-Masking tape
-Soldering iron
-Scissors
-Craft knife
-Blowtorch

Originally I was just going to connect the blaster to a backpack and ditch the reservoir, but then it dawned on me that I could fill the dead space near to the back with some of the reservoir still.  While it is not much of it, it is still better than nothing, and it does add another 380mL or so to the just over 3L of water I can get from the Max Infusion Backpack I will be fitting on.  I had nothing to lose even if it did go wrong.

First of all, I marked off with masking tape where the furthest I could cut was.

reservoirfillingpic1

It is just before where the smaller part ridges up a little bit.

reservoirfillingpic2

With the reservoir now in half, I was after a bit of filing and sand paper smoothing left with this.

reservoirfillingpic3

As you can see, I need something to cover it up.  So first, I used the larger piece of the reservoir I to trace a shape of the gap I need to fill with a marker pen.  I put the end of the chopped reservoir I needed to use on the flat surface and drew round.

reservoirfillingpic4

Using a craft knife to initially cut into the area to get a grasp, a good pair of scissors were used to cut out the shape.

reservoirfillingpic5

It now lines up over the hole, now we need to fill it.

reservoirfillingpic6

A soldering iron and a blow torch gun will be needed.  First though, need to secure the piece on to work around with some masking tape.

reservoirfillingpic7

The craft knife was used to slice little pieces off the unused part of the reservoir that had already had the piece to cut out of.  The soldering iron was used to seal the gaps shut with the sliced pieces being partially used.  After going all the way round it looked like this.

reservoirfillingpic8

Water was still leaking out around the curved bits, the straight part was fine, after more soldering some other method was needed to seal these gaps shut to prevent any water leaking.  In comes the welding gun.

reservoirfillingpic9

With the setting on as lowest heat as possible (don’t want to completely melt the reservoir!), I carefully went around the domed areas that were leaking, ironing out all the bubbles where the water was escaping.  I had to be very careful going round, some areas I had to come back to and reseal, soldering a few more slices of reservoir pieces to create an area to seal in the process.

reservoirfillingpic10

It is now fully sealed, so all that is left to do now is put it back and connect it to the intake tube and fit into the empty space of the blaster.

reservoirfillingpic11

And that another part finished, not a lot left to go now.  Just the backpack next and then some finishing touches.  I still needed to keep what is left of the other half of the reservoir, as I would need some more of it for part of the modification I had to do when connecting the backpack.